Pursuant to the Harbour and Fairway Act § 27, subsection 1, a permit is required for measures at sea as well as for other measures that may affect safety or navigation at sea. In other words, for:
- Land filling
- Fixed and temporary infrastructure is built (floating piers, buoys, and so on)
- Other measures that may affect the safety and accessibility of the waters (such as regattas and the like)
For such activity within Narvik municipality’s waters, an application should be submitted to The Port of Narvik. The application should preferably be sent electronically.
Content of the application
The following documents must be attached to the application:
- Section of an overview map, preferably on a scale of 1:5000 or 1:10000, where the location of the property/measure is marked.
- Targeted map or sketch showing the measure’s location in the waters and in relation to the immediate surroundings, including quays, piers and neighbouring properties. Preferably on a scale of 1:500 or 1:1000.
- Property boundaries must be shown on the map. Any comments from neighbour notices can also be attached. If a measure affects other properties, consent from the landowner should be attached.
- For larger constructions, such as breakwaters and larger marina facilities, drawings must be submitted showing the ground plan, construction method (including the necessary section), dimensions, sea floor and depth conditions as well as foundations.
- If a measure requires dispensation from the municipal area plan, a copy of the dispensation approval must also be attached.
After the application is received, it will be assessed and possibly sent on a hearing to the relevant parties. If the measure affects safety and accessibility to the fairway, the Coastal Administration will be consulted for further processing.
When the necessary conditions have been clarified, the Port of Narvik (if we are the right authority) will make a decision on the application.
We aim to process the application quickly, however it could take up to three months before a decision is made.
Even if you have been granted permission under the Planning and Building Act, it is important to specify that you must also have permission under the Harbour and Fairway Act for measures at sea.
For questions relating to the application process and the Harbour and Fairway Act, contact maritime operations.